Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP)

Child Care Subsidy Program

The Child Care Subsidy (CCS) program (formerly Purchase of Care) helps limited-income families pay for child care while parents work or attend school or job training.

CCS offers a subsidy for care provided by: 

  • child care centers,
  • registered family child care homes,
  • informal care. Informal care is
    • care by a relative in the child’s home or in the relative’s home, or
    • care by a non-relative in the child’s home, or
    • care provided by a non-relative in their own home for less than 20 hours a month.

Families receive a voucher for each child needing care. A sliding scale, based on household income, is used to determine the amount of the voucher and the amount of the co-payment, which the parents must pay. The amount of the voucher will also vary based on the amount of care that is needed and the age of the child. Parents purchase care directly from providers. Their payment to the provider includes three parts:

  • the CCS voucher
  • the parent’s co-payment
  • any additional payment necessary to cover the full cost of care. (CCS vouchers and co-payments do not always add up to the full amount charged by the provider.)

CCS is administered by local departments of social services (DSS).


Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Eligibility and Application

Eligibility for the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is determined by income and family size. Click here for a chart which shows the income eligibility requirements.

Find Your Local DSS Office

Ask what records you need to bring to the determination interview. These may include:

  • a birth certificate for each child for whom you are requesting a voucher,
  • Social Security numbers for each child and adult in the household, records of your work or school activity, such as:
    • pay stubs for the past four weeks, or
    • proof of enrollment in school or training, such as an official school schedule showing the dates, days and hours of your school or training.
  • If the other parent is not in the home, take records proving that you are in receipt of or are pursuing child support. If you are receiving child support, take a document stating the amount of child support, signed by both parents.
  • Other income information, such as SSI and Social Security
  • If you plan to use a licensed or registered child care provider, you may only need to provide the name of the provider or center.
  • If you plan to use informal care (care by a non-relative in your home or care by a relative in their home or yours), you must provide evidence that your child’s immunizations are up-to-date, and the provider must go to the DSS office for a background check.

Please check with your local department of Social Services office (DSS) for application information.