just the facts ma’am
I’m preparing remarks to give before the House Budget Subcommittee on Education and Economic Development. The facts are my favorite part. Here are a few of them.
- There are about 364,000 children from birth to age five in Maryland.
- 80% of them have mothers who work, are in school, or are in job training.·
- Where are the 364,000?
- 60% are in regulated child care (private for- and non-profits).
- 28% are at home or in informal (unregulated) care out of the home.
- 9% are in public pre-kindergarten.
- 3% are in Early Head Start/Head Start or Family Support Centers.
- $14,000 is the annual average cost of infant care in a center in Maryland.
- $8,475 is the annual average in-state tuition and fees at a Maryland university
- $26,172 is the annual average salary of a center-based teacher in a child care center who works 12 months a year.
- $64,248 is the annual average salary earned by an elementary school teacher who works 10 months a year.