News from the Executive Office

Protecting your home from fire

I was shocked to learn from the Baltimore City Health Department that ten children died in three house fires in the city between approximately December 12, 2016 and January 22, 2017 (about six weeks).  Seven of them were infants and toddlers. They are the most vulnerable in house fires, having no way to exit on their own.  These fires were preventable: children playing with matches, a pot left on a stove, and a space heater placed too close to the couch leading it to catch fire. The space heater issue is especially critical; almost every year, young children die in fires that start this way.

The attached flyer from the Baltimore City Fire Department may be helpful to families you know, especially as the weather gets colder and more families turn to space heaters to save money on heating bills.  It explains never to use an extension cord for a space heater and to make sure to keep them three feet away from anything that could catch fire.

Families can apply here for energy assistance (https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us/) or go in person to any of these Public Assistance Centers (http://dhr.maryland.gov/local-offices/baltimore-city/) to apply.

Donate