LOCATE: Child Care Special Needs Service
LOCATE: Child Care
Special Needs Service
LOCATE: Child Care Special Needs Service is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Messages can be left during non-business hours and LOCATE staff will return the call as soon as possible.
If you would like to save time and complete the intake form prior to talking with a LOCATE Special Needs Referral Specialist, please complete the online intake form found here.
LOCATE: Child Care can help you find care that meets your child’s needs.
All children are entitled to quality child care and it is the parent’s right to make an informed decision concerning their child care needs. Maryland Family Network’s LOCATE: Child Care Special Needs Service is:
- Free – it is funded by the MD State Department of Education (MSDE)
- Available to any family who has a child with a special need
- Available for children from birth through age 21
Here are some examples of eligible children :
- Any child receiving services through the MD Infants/Toddlers Program
- Any child evaluated and receiving services referred by Child Find
- Any child receiving special education services through a school system
- Any child with an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)
- Any child with an IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan)
- Any child terminated from a child care program
- Any child with special needs or physical disabilities such as, but not limited to: allergies, Asthma, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, behavior concerns, Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, developmental delays (not meeting milestones), Down Syndrome, learning disabilities, intellectual disability, special health care needs, and/or speech and language delays
How does the Special Needs Service help parents to find child care?
When a parent contacts LOCATE for child care, the LOCATE specialist will:
- Discuss the child’s special need or disability
- Discuss any services or accommodations needed while in child care
- Discuss location, cost and other factors
- Discuss how to find quality inclusive child care
- Refer to community resources such as recreational activities and respite
- Share information on the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Refer to child care providers or programs with special needs experience or
- Refer to child care providers who are willing to meet and mutually decide if they can accommodate the child’s individual needs
LOCATE referral specialists provide this service with respect for the parent’s right and ability to choose the best care for his/her child. Service is provided to callers by trained LOCATE referral specialists who are professionals holding a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or a related field, and have experience and training working with children who have special needs.